Black Bean Tempeh Tacos
I was visiting one of my closest friends in town, and she told me her husband had been making black bean tempeh tacos, and they just loved them. I was intrigued as I've never used crumbled tempeh as taco meat substitute, but it definitely works! I was able to come up with our own version of this recipe which includes your very own taco seasoning blend! I hope you enjoy it as it is very tasty! Note: Coconut aminos is a soy sauce substitute that comes directly from the sap of the coconut tree. It has a yummy umami taste like soy sauce, but it is less salty and sweeter. You can use either low sodium soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos instead of coconut aminos. We have made it with Bragg's and coconut aminos. However, coconut aminos will offer a sweeter taste and will be overall less salty.
Black Bean Tempeh Taco filling
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 8 oz. packages of plain tempeh
- 1/4 Cup coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning blend*
- 2 Cans black beans, drained and rinsed or 3 cups home-cooked beans
Taco Seasoning Blend*
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano powder
Black Bean Tempeh Taco filling instructions
- Chop or crumble tempeh into small 1-inch pieces. Place in a bowl or plastic bag and marinate with olive oil, aminos, Worcestershire sauce, and seasoning.
- If you really want to soak in the flavor- marinate overnight. If not, you will still get good flavor if you mix and use it right away.
- sauté marinated tempeh in a large skillet over medium heat until tempeh starts to turn golden brown. Just before finishing, add in the black beans and stir occasionally and sauté for a few more minutes, just enough to coat with seasoning and warm the beans. If you leave beans in a hot skillet too long with very little liquid, they will start to crack and harden.
- Remove from heat and serve over warmed tortillas and your favorite taco toppings! Store leftover tempeh black bean mixture in an airtight container in the fridge and within two to three days. If storing in the freezer, make sure it is an airtight container and use it within six months.
Taco Seasoning Blend instructions
- Blend all the spices and herbs together. Store in an airtight container. Yields about five tablespoons.
Call to Action We find in Numbers chapter 11 that the children of Israel, tired of the pure bread from heaven called manna, cried out for the fleshpots of Egypt. God heard their complaining and sent quail for a whole month. However, the Lord also sent a plague, and the Israelites that had complained and craved the meat the most ended up dying. While this may not be anyone's predicament today- we still challenge you to begin your meals with a thankful and grateful heart, for this is the will of God in you (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Over the years, nutritional science has shown far greater diseases occurring in farm animals, such as cancer, leukemia, and infectious diseases too. With so much disease taking place, it is much healthier to find whole foods, plant-based ingredients that can substitute meat.